Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Shoofly pie???? Who knew???


Phrases I use more often now than I ever imagined possible…
THAT is an interesting smell!
No, I don’t think I took a shower yesterday either….
It’s fine, just pull over, I’ll pee here….
You can wear those pants more than twice…
Is that smell coming from me?
I love cleaning this place!


      But everyday I find myself saying, “This is so beautiful!” What an amazing country we live in! We have been able to show the kids how the majority of America lives, and it looks vastly different from Castle Rock, CO. They have really gotten to see how much of the landscape is made up of people who are producing our food, and what that looks like. Not just in terms of the crops but also the houses near them and the towns they are in and around. They have also been able to compare that to the cities like Chicago and other urban areas. It’s been a fantastic look at America so far and we aren’t even halfway through! We are also really seeing that there are a million different ways to make a life, the possibilities really are endless. It becomes easy to feel like there is only one way to do things, but we are seeing everyday that there are so many different ways to live in this world. This week I am continuing to ponder the idea of raising bees and alpaca when we get off the road. Why not???? Next week maybe it will be motorcycle mechanic! When we take a moment of bravery and run with it, the world is our oyster.



     I am completely enamored with Pennsylvania! The low, rolling hills, the red barns on every corner and the wonderful people we have met…. it’s amazing here! The Amish have fascinated me for years now so getting to eat at an Amish restaurant was a real treat. I had no idea that “Shoofly Pie” would be so delicious! Many of the families have stands outside the front of their homes so we have been able to stop and chat and buy local fresh produce. And of course I have taken a million pictures of the buggies!
     

     We spent a day at Gettysburg Battlefield. It took us HOURS of walking around and talking to people to really understand the scope of the battle. It is humbling to be in a part of the country where history is really all around us! It’s a fascinating place to spend some time, one day isn’t enough. Talking to people along the way has provided us with all kinds of interesting facts that we wouldn’t get otherwise. At the National Cemetery we spoke with a man who used to give tours and has written a book about it and learned so much more! The small towns, dotting this countryside are astounding to me. People actually live in homes once occupied by the very people who founded this country. It blows my mind.
            As an added bonus, we went to see this amazing bridge, (Sachs) and got tons of Orb photos, it’s widely known for it’s paranormal properties, but look at it, more than that it’s just beautiful!



                                                            150 year old graffiti!

                                                           Tomorrow, Philly!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment